Executive Director Search
KSFR-FM Executive Director
Position Type: Full-time, Exempt
KSFR-FM is a community-supported public radio station operated by the Northern New Mexico Radio Foundation and serving a mid-sized market comprised of Santa Fe and surrounding areas. The Executive Director is the executive position at the station, reporting to a Board of Directors and supervising a staff of eight and a large cadre of volunteers.
The specific duties of the position include the following.
* Financial management . The ED is responsible for budgeting and budget tracking, oversight of bookkeeping and audits, maintenance of records, grant tracking and reporting, and financial reporting to the Board of Directors and granting agencies.
* Personnel management . The ED is responsible for guiding the work of a staff of eight full- and
part-time employees, staff hiring, staff training, evaluations, and implementing established KSFR personnel policies. Staff include: Chief Engineer, Operations Manager, Sales Manager, News Director and others.
* Fundraising. The ED is responsible for assuring sufficient funds are available for station operations through grant writing and reporting, maintaining relationships with granting agencies and organizations, donor development, and overseeing the work of the station's Development activities which include membership development, donor cultivation and recognition, and fundraising events.
* Operations . The ED has overall responsibility for station programming, local program production, direction of the station's two news producers, and compliance with FCC regulations. The ED is responsible for assuring maintenance and operability of broadcast equipment, and the maintenance and improvement of the station's facilities which include studios and a transmitter site. Operational needs require the ED to develop, implement, and oversee various service contracts. The ED has responsibility for the station's IT infrastructure and maintaining and developing the station's website and other "new media." The ED is responsible for strategy development to expand audience and refine programming to meet community and audience interests. The ED is responsible for keeping KSFR-FM up-to-date with changes and trends in technology, media, and public broadcasting.
* Community Outreach . The ED represents the station to the local community and is responsible for assuring KSFR-FM is responsive to local community needs and concerns. The ED guides station outreach to members, listeners, and the community at large. The ED proactively interacts with local businesses, organizations, schools, and government agencies and institutions to articulate KSFR-FM's mission, policies, and strategic direction, and to build collaborative relationships with these entities.
* Board of Directors . In addition to preparing regular financial and station activity reports for the KSFR Board of Directors, the ED prepares information necessary for informed policy decisions by the board, advises the board on policy decisions, and implements the board's approved policies and strategic plan.
* Agency and Other Networking . The ED serves as the primary communication link to other agencies and organizations involved in public broadcasting, represents KSFR-FM's interests to those agencies and organizations, and seeks opportunities for collaboration or utilizing shared resources.
Executive Director has the following skills and experience:
* Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with a wide variety of people and interests, incorporate many interests and opinions into decision-making, and devise successful collaborations;
* Demonstrated ability to effectively manage personnel;
* Fundraising, including grant writing, donor/member program management, and/or event coordination, experience/ability to understand and manage a budget and non-profit accounting, including use of relevant software;
* General technical skills applicable to working with radio technology and/or an ability to readily learn and adapt to existing as well as new systems and technologies;
* Strong writing, speaking, and public presentation skills necessary to represent KSFR-FM successfully to the community, grantors, regulatory agencies, and other collaborators.
Other desirable knowledge, skills, and experience include
* Public broadcasting and/or other non-profit management ;
* Familiarity with computers/software and network management;
* Utilization of new media technology for program development and/or organizational communication and development;
* Facility management (oversight of maintenance, utilities; contract management)